Switzerland-based ABB has won a contract to provide electrical and automation equipment for a planned seamless steel tube mill and pipe production plant in Jubail in Saudi Arabia.
The SR2.5bn ($750m) steel project is a joint venture of Luxembourg-based Arcelor Mittal and the local Bin Jarallah Group.
ABB will supply electrical infrastructure and equipment, including a 115kV substation. Under the contract, the company will also provide an automation system to manage orders and storage issues at the plant, schedule production runs, and report on production quality.
The plant will have a capacity of 500,000 tonnes a year of seamless steel.
Arcelor Mittal holds a 51 per cent stake in the project, with Bin Jarallah holding the remaining 49 per cent.