Abu Dhabi firms sign digitalisation agreement

11 November 2020
AIQ and Group 42 have signed an agreement with Schlumberger to collaborate on oil and gas AI, machine learning and data products

Adipec 2020
Indrajit Sen
Oil & gas editor

Abu Dhabi-based digitalisation systems developers AIQ and Group 42 (G42) signed a framework agreement on 8 November with US oil field services major Schlumberger to collaborate on the development and deployment of artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and data products for the oil and gas industry.

“Under the terms of the agreement, the three companies will leverage their combined domain knowledge in digital technology, high-performance computing and cloud storage capabilities to develop and commercialise market-leading AI products for the global upstream exploration and production (E&P) market,” Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc) said in a press release.

ALSO READ: Adnoc puts full weight behind digitalisation

AIQ is a recently established joint venture company in which Adnoc owns the majority 60 per cent share and G42 the other 40 per cent. AIQ is mandated to develop AI products and applications for the global oil and gas industry.

G42 is an AI and cloud computing company founded in Abu Dhabi in 2018. Earlier in November, it was reported that Abu Dhabi-based sovereign investment firm Mubadala will take a minority stake in G42.

Data centre and cloud computing providers Injazat and Khazna, both owned by Mubadala, will become part of G42 as a result of the transaction.

As part of the trilateral partnership, AIQ’s data scientists, AI experts and software developers will work on developing and deploying AI modelling and supercomputing solutions using Schlumberger’s open cloud-based software platforms.

The deployment will be hosted on G42’s cloud infrastructure.

The combined team will also cross-share relevant proprietary research technology and work to identify pilot projects that have the potential to be commercialised in the global E&P market.

ALSO READ: Abu Dhabi’s technology pivot is hard to ignore
This article has been unlocked to allow non-subscribers to sample MEED’s content. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s business intelligence, subscribe here

More Adipec coverage from MEED

> 
Adnoc signs LNG supply deals with Vitol and Total
> Adnoc and ADQ launch chemicals joint venture
> Adnoc completes phase one of artificial intelligence project
> Abu Dhabi firms sign digitalisation agreement
> Adnoc announces first gas from unconventional asset
> Abu Dhabi oil futures to start trading from March 2021
> Egypt witnessed $30bn gas investments in 2015-20
> East Mediterranean Gas Forum to play vital role
Abu Dhabi oil futures to start trading from March 2021
Adipec begins amid oil demand recovery

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications