Abu Dhabi invites proposals for Shuweihat S3

10 March 2010

Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority is building its first independent power plant project

Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (Adwea) has issued a request for proposals (RFP) to prequalified bidders for the Shuweihat S3 independent power project (IPP).

Interested parties have until 15 July to respond to the RFP, which is two weeks later than the originally scheduled 30 June deadline.

A total of 15 companies have been prequalified to bid on the power project:

  • Acwa Power (Saudi Arabia)
  • General Electric (US)
  • International Power (UK)
  • Korean Electric Power Company (South Korea)
  • Marubeni (Japan)
  • Mitsubishi Corporation (Japan)
  • Mitsui & Co (Japan)
  • Powertek Berhad (Malaysia)
  • Sembcorp Utilities (Singapore)
  • Shikoku Electric Power Company (Japan)
  • Sojitz Corporation (Japan)
  • Suez Tractebel (Belgium)
  • Sumitomo Corporation (Japan)
  • Tenaga Nasional Berhad (Malaysia)
  • Tokyo Electric Power Company (Japan)

Adwea is planning to bring Shuweihat 3 online in mid-2013, with a successful developer holding 40 per cent of the equity in the project and Adwea holding the remaining 60 per cent (MEED 8:3:10).

The facility will be Adwea’s first IPP, as its previous projects have all included water supply.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications