Abu Dhabi launches next phase of $1bn Fujairah pipeline

29 August 2008

Abu Dhabi Transmission & Despatch Company (Transco) has issued tenders for the next phase of one of the world’s longest pipelines, which will transfer water from the Fujairah 2 independent water and power project (IWPP) to Abu Dhabi.

The contract covers the construction of a pipeline between Al-Ain, on the border with Oman, and Al-Wahda, outside Abu Dhabi. Bids are due on 16 September. The project is split into two packages, one covers the engineering, procurement and construction of a 130-kilometre steel pipeline with a 64-inch diameter, and the other covers the construction of two pumping stations. The cost of the project is $1bn.

At least six groups have been invited to bid. They are France’s Technip; Dubai-based Dodsal; Athens-based Consolidated Contractors Company; Italy’s Saipem with Lebanon’s Contracting & Trading Company; France’s Spie Capag with the local Al-Jaber Energy Services; and Al-Nasr Contracting Company, also local. Austria’s ILF is the consultant.

The contract for of the first 131-kilometre-long stretch of the pipeline, linking the Fujairah 2 IWPP with Al-Ain, was awarded to Technip and Dodsal in April (MEED 28:4:08).

The IWPP will have capacity of 2,000MW of power and 130 million gallons a day of water.

The UK’s International Power and Japan’s Marubeni Corporation hold 40 per cent of the project company developing the plant. The remaining 60 per cent is owned by Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (Adwea) and Abu Dhabi Energy Company (Taqa).

You might also like...

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications