Advisers signed up for sewerage privatisation

17 March 2006
Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) has selected the key advisers on the planned privatisation of two of the emirate's sewage treatment plants. Australia's Cardno has been appointed technical adviser and has recently been joined by Dewey Ballantine as legal adviser and BNP Paribas as financial adviser. Abu Dhabi Sewerage Services Company (ADSSC), which is wholly owned by ADWEA, is handling the programme (MEED 4:11:05).

The team will advise on the privatisation of Mafraq sewage treatment plant (STP), which has capacity of 340,000 cubic metres a day (cm/d), and the 55,000-cm/d Zakher STP in Al-Ain. The privatisation is expected to follow ADWEA's independent water and power project (IWPP) model, with the selected developer taking a 40 per cent stake in a new project company, which will acquire the existing assets and carry out expansion work on a build-own-operate (BOO) basis. ADWEA will own the remaining 60 per cent stake. The concession period for the new project company is likely to be about 25 years.

The tendering timetable for the privatisation of the two plants has still to be finalised. However, it is expected that request for qualifications will be issued in the second quarter and the request for proposals in the third quarter.

ADWEA is also understood to be looking at outsourcing the operations, maintenance and management of the emirate's sewage distribution networks.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications