- Owner Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Maaden); Alcoa
- Parent Project Aluminium Project
- Location Saudi Arabia, Ash-Sharqiyah (Eastern Province), Ras Al-Khair
- Status Execution
- Classification Aluminium, Industrial Production
- Contract ($m) $1,500m
- Contract Type Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)M
- Main Contract Completion Q3 2014
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Maaden) and Alcoa along, with Hatch as their technology partner, is building the Ras al-Khair alumina refinery.
In 2009, Maaden split the overall $10,000m aluminium project into two smaller phases to help it secure financing. The alumina refinery is a part of the second phase.
It will extract alumina from mined bauxite, which is then sent to aluminium smelters. Here, the aluminium is extracted from its oxide alumina.
The alumina refinery will include:
- Crusher and grinder
- Flash tanks
- Settling tanks
- Calcination kilns
- Research MEED’s archive on the Ras al-Khair Alumina Refinery