Developers had been due to submit proposals by 30 April for the estimated $300 million project. However, it is understood that a number of the invited companies asked for more time (MEED 7:3:03). Although the IPP option has not been dropped completely, contractors say the government is now looking seriously at the EPC route and may issue a tender in June. The deadline for bids is likely to be towards the end of the year.

If the EPC route is chosen, the size of the power station is likely to be reduced from the original 400-450 MW to 300-350 MW. Amman is proposing to finance 30 per cent of the EPC project costs, with the remaining 70 per cent coming from Arab development agencies.

The government is keen for the Al-Samra project to go ahead as quickly as possible as the plant is intended to come on stream in 2005, in time for the first deliveries of gas from the Egypt-Jordan transmission line. Power demand is expected to grow by 4.5-6.5 per cent a year over the next decade.