Contracting teams compete for construction contract
- Bahrain tenders airport expansion contract
- Bids due on 1 July
- At least 13 groups invited to bid
Bahrain Airport Company has invited companies to bid by 1 July for the main construction contract for the expansion of Bahrain International airport.
The contracting groups that have been invited to bid include:
- Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) (Athens-based) / Shapoorji Pallonji (India)
- Ghantoot Group (UAE) / Acciona (Spain)
- GP Zachariades (Bahrain) / Al-Faraa (UAE) / Rizanni De Eccher (Italy)
- Habtoor Leighton Group (UAE/Australia) / Hochtief (Germany) / Nass Mechanical (local)
- Larsen & Toubro (India) / Gulf Asia Contracting (Saudi Arabia)
- Limak (Turkey)
- M10 (UAE) / Posco (South Korea)
- Nass Group (local) / Six Construct (Belgium)
- Saudi Binladin Group (Saudi Arabia)
- Shade Corporation (Saudi Arabia) / Astaldi (Italy) / Ictas (Turkey)
- TAV (Turkey) / Arabtec Construction (UAE)
- Trojan (UAE) / OHL (Spain)
- Vinci (France)
The project, which is being financed by the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development, involves the construction of a 170,000-square-metre terminal building, together with associated buildings and infrastructure such as car parks and aircraft parking areas. It also involves managing nominated subcontractors working on specialist packages for baggage-handling systems, passenger loading bridges and information technology systems.
When completed, the new terminal structure is expected to increase the airports capacity to 13.5 million passengers a year.
On 17 March, the Transportation & Telecommunications Ministry signed a contract for enabling work on the passenger terminal building with the Nicosia-based Cyprus Building and Road Construction Company (CYBROC).
French consultant ADPI was appointed by Bahrain Airport Company to perform all studies on the development of the airport over the next 20 years. As well as developing the new terminal, the study also includes determining future projects that will support the airport operations.
US-based Hill International was awarded the project management consultancy (PMC) for the scheme. Bahrain Airport Company is the client representative working for the Transportation Ministry.
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.