- Owner Iraq Ministry of Industry and Minerals
- Location Iraq, Basra Province, Basra
- Status Execution
- Classification Steel, Industrial Production
- Contract ($m) $2,800m
- Contract Type Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Main Contract Completion Q4 2015
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
Iraq’s demand for steel is currently 8 million tonnes a year (t/y), and this figure is expected to rise in the coming years, especially as it requires more raw materials for use in its oil fields. The Ministry of Industry and Minerals is planning to build several steel plants in the country, with the complex in Basra part of that plan.
Scope of work includes the development of a direct reduction plant, including an electric furnace and power generation plant.