Construction starts on Qeshm Island bridge

15 March 2011

The bridge will link free zone to Bandar Abbas

Construction on Iran’s €650m ($902m) bridge that will link the Qeshm Free Zone to mainland Iran began on 14 March.

The 2.2-kilometre bridge will run from the free zone, which is on Qeshm Island in the Gulf to the port city of Bandar Abbas in Hormozgan province. The bridge will also include a railway line that will help facilitate trade in the region.

The Iranian government will fund 15 per cent of the construction cost while the remaining 85 per cent will be raised from domestic and foreign investors.

The project is due to be completed in 2014. Qeshm Free Zone Organisation is the client on the project and hopes that the plan will help attract foreign investment

You might also like...

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications