Desal planned for facility B

09 December 2005
Expressions of interest were submitted by international developers in late November for the post of foreign partner on the Mesaieed independent water and power project (IWPP). Submissions were delayed by a week after the steering committee handling the project informed developers that a desalination component would be added to the project (MEED 11:11:05).

Following the revision in project scope, the scheme, which is also known as facility B, will have 2,000 MW of generating capacity and 40 million gallons a day (g/d) of desalination. The request for proposals (RFP) is expected to be issued to prequalifiers by January.

The selected developer will take a 40 per cent stake in a new company set up to implement the build-own-operate-transfer (BOOT) scheme; the remaining 60 per cent will be held by Qatar Petroleum (QP)and Qatar Electricity & Water Company (QEWC). The project company will sign a gas fuel agreement with QP for the duration of the 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA).

The plant's commercial operation has been set for April 2008; all its output will be supplied into the grid. The project's technical consultant is Germany's Fichtner.Thesteering committee is made up of QP, QEWC and Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (Kahramaa - MEED 22:7:05).

You might also like...

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications