Dredging work to begin on Dream Island resort

20 November 2003
Dredging work is set to begin on another artificial island resort off the coast of Manama, following the conclusion of a financing agreement. The resort, to be called Dream Island, will include a luxury hotel, residential units, commercial and leisure facilities and a marina, located on a 165,000-square-metre plot of reclaimed land 250 metres northeast of the capital.

The project is being developed by the local Gulf Star World Development, a joint venture of Canada's Star Leisure & Entertainment, with 80 per cent, and Saudi Arabia's Jzala, with the remaining 20 per cent. However, agreements are in place for an affiliated US firm, Strategic Internet Investments, to acquire Star's stake.

The local Robodh Contracting won the $5.1 million dredging contract in 2002 but the start of work, expected to last four-six months, awaited a financing agreement. Under the deal now in place, Robodh will be issued with preferential shares to the value of the contract.

Arkan, part of Saudi Arabia's Bin Hassan Group, is drawing up designs for the island. Total project costs are estimated at $130 million. Completion is scheduled for 2005.

The island is part of a network earmarked for reclamation to the north of the capital, known as the North Shore development (MEED 17:10:03).

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications