Egypts National Authority for Tunnels (NAT) expects to announce the list of prequalified firms for the consultancy contract for the rehabilitation of the Raml tramway in Alexandria by early August.
The client indicated in May that it prefers a joint venture of local and international consultancy companies for the contract.
The tram network meant for rehabilitation is about 13.7 kilometres long and extends from the Victoria station to the Raml station and then on to Manshya square. There are 28 stations.
The scope of work for the consultancy package includes:
- Detailed design of civil and arrangement works
- Evaluation of technical and financial proposals
- Supporting the client in negotiations with selected bidders
- Supervision of project implementation
- Preparation of the operation and maintenance model
Agence France Development (AFD) and European Investment Bank (EIB) will finance 78 per cent of the 360m ($400m) budget required for the scheme.
AFD will supply 100m while EIB will supply 180m, according to the Egypts investment ministry.
The Egyptian government is expected to raise the remaining funding required.
The tramway began operating in the1860s and is the second-oldest in the world.