- Owner Rabigh Refining & Petrochemical Company (Petro-Rabigh)
- Parent Project Petro-Rabigh – Phase II
- Location Saudi Arabia, Mecca Province, Rabigh
- Status Execution
- Classification Petrochemical Plant, Chemical Production
- Contract ($m) $1,500m
- Contract Type Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Main Contract Completion Q2 2016
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
The joint venture between Saudi Aramco and Sumitomo Chemical is expanding the existing ethane cracker and aromatics complex at its Petro-Rabigh refinery and petrochemicals complex on the Red Sea coast, along with 15 downstream chemical production plants.
Rabigh Refinery is a topping refinery that has a 340,000 barrels a day (b/d) crude distillation unit, a 47,000 b/d hydrotreater, a 12 million cubic feet a day hydrogen plant, a 75,000 (barrels a day) b/d naphtha merox unit and a 60,000 b/d kerosene merox unit along with supporting utilities, product tankage and a marine terminal.
The facility is expected to produce 900,000 tonnes a day of propylene and 60,000 b/d of gasoline.
Sumitomo Chemical plans to sell value-added products from the second complex to China and India as well as to Europe.