Genel makes oil discovery in Iraqi Kurdistan

10 April 2013

Five wells planned for Chia Surkh licence in Kurdistan region of Iraq

UK-Turkish Genel Energy has announced a new oil discovery at the first of five planned wells at its Chia Surkh licence in the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq.

The Chia Surkh-10 well was drilled to a total depth of 1,696 metres, tesing flows of up to 11,950 barrels a day (b/d) of 41 degree API oil, as well as 15 million cubic feet a day (cf/d) of gas.

Genel now plans to drill a second test well, after which the well will be suspended as a future producer.

The well is the first of five planned by Genel as part of its 2013 exploration campaign in the 985-square-kilometre Chia Surkh licence. Chia Surkh-11 was drilled in early April to appraise the discovery.

After appraisal and development, an early production scheme could be in operation as early as the first half of 2014.

Genel is the operator of the Chia Surkh exploration and production sharing licence, with a 60 per cent stake. The remaining 40 per cent interest held by Turkey’s Petoil and the Kurdistan Regional Government.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications