Hyflux wins Mactaa desalination project

01 April 2008
Singapore’s Hyflux is to build a desalination plant in Mactaa, in the northern Algerian province of Oran.

Hyflux was the low bidder, submitting a price of $468m for the project and a tariff of $0.5557 a cubic metre for the plant's desalinated water.

The 110 million-gallon-a-day plant (500,000 cubic-metre-a-day) will be developed on a build-own-operate basis. Hyflux will take a 51 per cent stake in the project company, with the state-owned Algerian Energy Company holding the remaining 49 per cent. The construction period is 36 months.

Bids were also submitted by Befesa and Sadyt; Inima and Aqualia; and Acciona Agua, all of Spain. The UK’s Biwater, the local Arcofina and Japan’s Toray; and the US’ GE with Egypt’s Orascom Construction Industries also bid for the project.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications