- Owner Abu Dhabi Gas Industries (Gasco)
- Parent Project Integrated Gas Development (IGD)
- Location UAE, Emirate of Abu Dhabi, Western Region
- Status Execution
- Classification Gas Processing Plant, Gas Processing
- Budget ($m) $5,000m
- Contract Type Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Main Contract Completion Q3 2013
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
The Habshan 5 process plant is being built to cope with the higher levels of hydrogen sulphide in the gas it must process, which the current Habshan Gas Complex cannot handle due to limitations in its existing gas treating and sulphur recovery units that would result in a reduced processing capacity. The gas therefore requires new processing units, which cannot be built in the current facility. Instead, gas will be sent via a pipeline to the new Habshan 5 Gas Complex, located 10km away.
The Habshan 5 Process Plant is part of the integrated gas development (IGD) project, which will deliver 12,000 tonnes a day (t/d) of natural gas liquids (NGLs) and 5,000 t/d of sulphur, supplementing the gas already supplied through the Offshore Associated Gas (OAG) project.
The two projects are part of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company’s (Adnoc) plan to increasing the total gas flow to 1 billion cubic feet a day (cf/d) from Umm Shaif to Habshan via Das Island. The additional gas will be produced from the Umm Shaif Khuff and Umm Shaif Areaj reservoirs.
While all the new units required for the IGD Project will be located at the new Habshan 5 site, new equipment will also be needed at the existing Habshan Gas Complex, so that it can receive the additional OAG gas streams. The project also requires a new scraper launcher/receiver area to support the operation of the pipelines connecting existing Habshan Gas Complex and Habshan 5.
Habshan 5’s scope includes:
- Feed gas compression
- Condensate stabilisation unit
- Mercury removal unit
- Sulphur recovery Unit (5,000 t/d)
- NGL recovery unit (approximately 12,000 t/d)
- Rich dehydration and gas NGL recovery train (C10 and C20 Area)
- Tail gas treating units
- Fuel gas system
- Acid, cold and hydrocarbon flares
- Sour water stripper
- Associated facilities
- Interconnecting pipe rack (E20 Area)
- Fire water system (C10/E20 Area & C20/E30 Area)
- Residue gas compression (C30 Area)
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.