Kuwait has named the 14 groups that are prequalified to bid on the construction of the new runway at Kuwait International airport.
The Central Tenders Committee (CTC) prequalified the firms in April (MEED 3:4:11). However, an error on the part of the CTC meant that it has taken longer to reveal the full list.
The groups include:
- MA Al-Kharafi & Sons (local)/TAV Construction (Turkey)
- Galfar Engineering & Contracting Company (Oman)/Larsen & Toubro (India)
- Greenline General Trading & Contracting Company (UAE)/ Cengiz (Turkey)/Makyol (Turkey)
- Mushrif Trading & Contracting Company (local)/GS Engineering & Construction Company (South Korea)/Kumho Industrial Company (South Korea)
- First Kuwaiti Trading Company (local)/Almabani General Contractors (Saudi Arabia)
- Combined Group Company (local)/Constructor San Jose (Spain)
- Al-Ahmadiah General Trading & Construction Company (UAE)/Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas) (Cyprus)
- Consolidated Contractors Company (Athens-based)/Laing O’Rourke Middle East (UAE)
- Kuwait Arab Contractors Company/The Arab Contractors Osman Ahmed Osman & Company (Egypt)
- Copri Construction Enterprises (local)/Sinohydro Corporation (China)
- Alamiah Building Company (local)/KCPC Construction (UAE)/Strabag (Austria)/Rizzani (Italy)
- United Gulf Construction Company (local)/China Railway 18th Bureau Group (China)
- Alghanim International General Trading & Contracting Company (local)/Al-Habtoor Leighton (UAE)
- Boodai Construction (local)/Grupo Isolux Corsan (Spain), Sacyr (Spain)
The contract involves building the third runway, which will be 4,580 metres long, as well as rehabilitating and extending the existing eastern runway, which will be increased to 4,000m from 3,500m.
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation expects to award the contract by Ramadan.