Kuwaits Ministry of Public Works (MPW) has extended the bid deadline for several road tenders.
The new deadlines for submission of offers for the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges and other services for specific road projects are:
- East Jahra area: 20 September (moved from 21 August)
- Cairo Street: 30 August (moved from 31 July)
- New part of regional road from Al-Salmi Crossroad to southern part of Regional road: 6 September (moved from 9 August)
The Central Tenders Committee has also added a new contractor, Canar Trading & Contracting, to the list of those prequalified to bid for the construction of the road that links the 5th Ring Road to Ghazzali Road and Mohammed bin Qasim Street. This brings to 12 the number of prequalified firms for the road design and construction work. The deadline is 4 September.
The 11 firms that were previously prequalified are:
- United Gulf Construction
- Al-Ahmadiah Contracting & Trading
- Alghanim International General Trading & Contracting
- Consolidated Contractors Company (Kuwait/Athens-headquartered)
- International Buildings
- Combined Group Contracting Company
- Arab Kuwait Contractors
- Copri Construction Projects
- Sai General Trading & Contracting
- Mohammed Abdulmohsin Al-Kharafi and Sons
- KCC Engineering & Contracting
The project scope includes the design, construction, completion and maintenance of roads, bridges and associated utilities, sanitary and rainwater sewerage, and other associated services.
Kuwait awarded an estimated $1.85bn-worth of road contracts between January and July 2016, exceeding the total value of deals it awarded for the full year in 2015.
The $956m infrastructure package for the South Al-Mutlaa City is the largest contract awarded so far this year.
Some $10bn-worth of roads, streets, bridges and related utility schemes are currently under way in the country, according to regional projects tracker MEED Projects. A further $3.2bn-worth of projects are undergoing bidder prequalification and nearly $5bn are in the early study and design phases.