National winners will compete for MEED Quality Awards for Projects in May
Twenty four projects in five countries have been declared national winners at this year’s MEED Quality Awards for Projects.
Multibillion-dollar projects in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar will now compete with a host of smaller schemes for the honour of being named best in the GCC across various awards categories.
Four Saudi projects with a combined value of more than $3.3bn, five Qatar-based projects worth $20bn and eight projects worth $7bn in the UAE, headline the list of country-based winners.
Each project was assessed on the basis of its economic, social and environmental impact. Innovative approaches to design, engineering and construction were also key factors considered during the judging process.
National winners in Saudi Arabia include Saudi Electricity Company’s $3bn Riyadh power plant 10 project; the Transport Ministry’s $238m, 13-km North West leg of the Riyadh Ring Road; and the $80m Alturki Business Park.
In Qatar, national winners include the $19bn Pearl GTL joint venture by Qatar Petroleum and the UK/Dutch Shell Group; the $500m extension to the Qatar National Convention Centre; Barwa Real Estate’s $411m Barwa Village; and Salam Bounian’s $123m The Gate Project.
In the UAE, Emirates Aluminium’s $6bn smelter complex, the Roads & Transport Authority’s Dubai Metro Green Line and Dolphin Energy’s $618m Taweelah Fujairah pipeline project were among the national winners.
Various projects in Bahrain, Oman and Kuwait were also recognised on the honours list and will compete in the GCC awards programme.
The GCC awards will be presented to the teams behind the projects at a gala dinner on 21 May in Abu Dhabi.
Winners of the National MEED Quality Awards for Projects
HLG Leighton Contracting Oil and Gas Project of the Year
- Nimr C Full Field Water Injection Project, Oman
- Taweelah - Fujairah Pipeline Project, UAE
- Pearl GTL, Qatar
- Bapco Lube Base Oil Plant, Bahrain
Industrial Project of the Year
- Emirates Aluminium Smelter Complex, UAE
Power and Water Desalination Project of the Year
- Amal Power Station Project, Oman
- Riyadh Power Plant 10, Saudi Arabia
- Sea Water Desalination Plant For Pearl Qatar, Qatar
Water Reuse Project of the Year
- Pumping Station, Waste Water Treatment Plant and Pressure Mains in Jahra, Kuwait
- Sewage Treatment Plant at King Saud’s University, Saudi Arabia
- Indoor Vacuum Sewage Collection System in Al Ain, UAE
Leisure & Tourism Project of the Year
- Royal Opera House, Oman
- Matajer Al-Quoz, UAE
- Extension to Qatar National Convention Centre and Link Bridge, Qatar
Transport Project of the Year
- Dubai Metro Green Line, UAE
- North West Leg of Riyadh Ring Road, Saudi Arabia
- Sheikh Zayed Bridge, UAE
Metito Social Project of the Year
- Barwa Village, Qatar
- Saadiyat Construction Village, UAE
Emirates Steel Building Project of the Year
- The Gate, Qatar
- Alturki Business Park, Saudi Arabia
- Ocean Heights, UAE
KIMMCO Sustainable Project of the Year
- Nimr Produced Water Treatment Project, Oman
- Green Line Dubai Metro, UAE
MEED Quality Awards for Projects is an independently judged competition for projects completed in the GCC.
Click here for list of 2011 national winners.