Melut basin contracts awarded

25 June 2004
All six packages have been awarded on the $1,500 million Melut basin oil scheme in blocks 3 and 7, entailing development of the Palogue, Adar-Yale and Agordeed fields, about 650 kilometres southeast of Khartoum. The project will harness the estimated 3,700 million barrels of reserves in the area (MEED 23:4:04).

Ranhill Internationalof Malaysia with the local PetroNeedshas been awarded a $239 million engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning (EPCC) contract for the 300,000-barrel-a-day central processing facility at Al-Jabalayan, field production facilities at Palogue and 250 kilometres of water pipeline linking the two sites. Ranhill will hold a 55 per cent stake in the venture while PetroNeeds will take the remaining 45 per cent. Dubai-based Dodsal with the local Heglig Petroleum Services & Investment Companyhas been awarded the EPCC contract to construct field production facilities at the Adar-Yale and Agordeed fields.

The downstream element of the scheme, covering construction of a 1,400-kilometre-long, 32-inch-diameter crude export pipeline, was divided into four packages, known as A1, A2, B1 and B2. China Petroleum Pipeline Engineering Corporationwith Heglig won A1; A2 went to Australia's Worley with STG, the German subsidiary of Russia's Stroytransgaz; B1 was awarded to China's Sinopec,with Malaysia Mining Corporation; and A2 was won by Dodsal, with Sapura of Malaysia.

The client on the project is Petrodar Operating Company, a consortium of China National Petroleum Corporationwith 41 per cent, Malaysia's Petronas Carigali Overseaswith 40 per cent, the local Sudapetwith 8 per cent and Dubai-based Thani Corporationwith 5 per cent.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications