Oman secures Thai partner for Duqm utilities plant

16 September 2018
Plant will provide power and water for $7bn Duqm refinery

Oman Oil Company (OOC) has secured a partnership agreement with Gulf Energy Development Public Company to develop a gas-fired power and water project at the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Duqm.

The proposed Duqm independent water and power project (IWPP) will have a power generation capacity of 326MW and a desalination capacity of eight million imperial gallons a day (MIGD). The project will require a total investment of $483m.

OOC subsidiaries will hold a 55 per cent equity interest in the plant, with the Thai utility holding the remaining 45 per cent. Representing OOC’s interests in the project company are the Centralised Utilities Company (Marafiq) and Oman Oil Facilities Development Company (OOFDC), holding stakes in the project company of of 51.1 per cent and 3.9 per cent respectively.

The offtaker for the produced utilities will be the Duqm refinery, which is being developed for a total cost of about $7bn. OOC is a 50 per cent shareholder in the 230,000 barrels-a-day refinery, with Kuwait Petroleum International (KPI) holding the other 50 per cent.

This article has been unlocked to allow non-subscribers to sample MEED’s content. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here 


A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications