Partners sign up for condensate refinery

29 November 2002

Long-held plans to build a condensate refinery at Ras Laffan took a significant step forward on 25 November, with the signing of an agreement between Qatar Petroleum, the US' ExxonMobil Corporation and France's TotalFinaElf for the design, construction and operation of the facility. The refinery, to be operated by Qatar Liquefied Gas Company (Qatargas), will come on stream in 2006 with capacity of 140,000 barrels a day (b/d - MEED 1:3:02).

QP will hold an 80 per cent stake in the joint venture company, with the remaining 20 per cent split equally between TotalFinaElf and ExxonMobil. QP described the shareholding structure as 'initial', implying that other shareholders may be taken on board. When the project was first discussed in the mid-1990s, all the shareholders in the Qatargas and Ras Laffan Liquefied Natural Gas Company (RasGas) ventures were expected to participate in the estimated $400 million project.

QP said that work on the front-end engineering and design (FEED) contract is due to begin in January, and the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract in the second quarter of 2004. The frontrunner for the contract is France's Technip-Coflexip. Two other companies - Japan's JGC Corporation and the US' Bechtel - are competing for the FEED.

The refinery will produce liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), naphtha, kerosine and diesel oil. The project is being undertaken to process the rising volumes of condensate produced by Qatargas and RasGas.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications