Qatar to supply liquefied natural gas to China

10 April 2008
Qatargas has signed agreements with PetroChina for the long-term supply of liquefied natural gas (LNG) to China.

The three-way agreements were signed in Beijing on 10 April by Qatar’s Minister of Energy and Industry Abdullah bin Hamad al-Attiyah; Jiang Jiemin, president of China National Petroleum Corporation and chairman of PetroChina; and Linda Cook, executive director of the UK/Dutch Shell Group.

The LNG will come from the Qatargas 4 project and will be shipped to PetroChina's LNG receiving terminals once they start commercial operations. The agreements are for 3 million tonnes of LNG a year for 25 years.

Qatar is planning to expand its LNG production to 77 million tonnes a year by 2010.

Qatargas 4, which is under construction, is a joint venture between Qatar Petroleum (QP) and Shell. QP owns 70 per cent of the project, with Shell holding the remaining 30 per cent.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications