One of the most significant areas of growth in the region over the past decade has been the development of renewable energy production capacity, particularly solar power.
But as capacity increases, new challenges are emerging. Foremost among these is the challenge of integrating the intermittent and variable power supply that comes from renewables with grids designed around thermal power generation plants. Read this month's Agenda here, or in print in the latest issue of MEED Business Review.
In the magazine's current affairs section, we look at the risk presented to oil and gas projects from the global spread of coronavirus. Chinese contractors have $35.1bn-worth of energy projects under execution in the Middle East and North Africa region, with Saudi Arabia the most exposed.
If the epidemic continues to impact logistics within and outward bound from China, then the repercussions could include lengthy and costly delays to some projects.
This month's exclusive 18-page Market Focus offers an in-depth look at Saudi Arabia, where non-oil growth is taking the lead as demand for jobs and the global squeeze on the oil sector spur growth on new economic fronts.
Other must-read sections in the March edition of MEED Business Review include:
- Board report: The last month’s top news stories at a glance
- Big Interview: Acwa Power maintains expansionary mode
- Upstream oil & gas: Gulf firms invest in oil output potential
- Peace plan: US peace plan fails to win Arab support
- Coronavirus: Oil and gas projects risk delays
- Road to 2020: Enlightenment from the home of Expo
- Technology: Electric vehicles show potential in the UAE
- Sustainability: Urban mining in the cyclical economy
- Currency reform: Rethinking dollar pegs
- Business outlook: Finance, oil and gas, construction, power and water contracts
We hope you enjoy the March issue of MEED Business Review.
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.