Saudi Arabia denies terror threat

30 December 2003
Riyadh has denied that Islamist militants in the kingdom are in the final stages of an operation targeting UK civil aircraft operating in the country, as reported in the UK weekly the Mail on Sunday on 28 December. 'It is unfortunate that some foreign newspapers have taken to publishing such baseless reports, with the aim of sensationalising them and showing no sense of the responsibility of the media,' a Saudi Arabian official was quoted as saying by the official Saudi Press agency.

The Mail on Sunday report said suspected suicide pilots had been detained in the kingdom in recent weeks and had been planning to fly light aircraft packed with explosives into British aircraft. The report quoted UK shadow deputy minister for homeland security, Patrick Mercer, who said: 'My understanding is that they were found on the flight line and that the plan was to fly them into a passenger jet, either about to land or take off.'

The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) confirmed that there was a threat in the kingdom, but did not specify the nature of the threat. 'The threat includes, but is not limited to, residential compounds,' said an FCO statement. 'We are not able to comment on the nature of this information.'

A British Airways spokesman said that the airline had no knowledge of the alleged incident. 'We are in regular contact with the Saudi authorities and the British government and we would not fly unless it was completely safe to do so,' the spokesman said. 'We have not changed our flights to or from Saudi Arabia.'

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications