Shell Group abandons Qatar gas concession

21 July 2014

UK/Dutch oil major Shell Group fails to find commercial levels of gas at offshore block

The UK/Dutch Shell Group has dropped plans to carry out further exploration work at a gas concession in Qatar after failing to find commercially viable levels of hydrocarbons.

Block D was a 8.089 square kilometre area underneath Qatar’s North Field, the largest non-associated gas field in the world. Shell has now ceased all activity and was quoted as saying it “remained committed to future plans in Qatar”.

Shell owns 75 per cent of the concession with PetroChina owning the remaining 25 per cent. Qatar Petroleum was set to be the off-taker of any gas produced at the offshore site.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications