Shell joins Qatar North Field East expansion

05 July 2022
QatarEnergy has confirmed that it is the fifth and last investor in the $28.75bn scheme

QatarEnergy has announced the selection of the UK/Dutch Shell as a partner in the estimated $28.75bn North Field East (NFE) expansion project.

QatarEnergy and Shell will become partners in a new joint venture (JV), in which QatarEnergy will hold a 75 per cent interest while Shell will hold the remaining 25 per cent. The JV will own 25 per cent of the entire NFE project, which includes 4 LNG trains with a combined nameplate LNG capacity of 32 million tons a year (mt/y).

The partnership agreement was signed on 5 July during a ceremony at QatarEnergy’s headquarters in Doha by Saad Sherida al-Kaabi, Minister of State for Energy Affairs and the President and CEO of QatarEnergy, and Ben van Beurden, CEO, Shell.

In a statement, QatarEnergy said this agreement is the fifth and last in a series of partnership announcements for NFE project, which will raise Qatar’s LNG export capacity from the current 77 mt/y to 110 mt/y.

READ MORE: Qatar scripts success story for LNG sector

Qatar has a long history of engaging with international oil companies for its LNG programme. Since 1984 it has worked with international players from Europe, the US and the Far East.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications