Summit to restructure ahead of public offering

09 November 2007

Summit, the holding company of five Egyptian technology businesses, will restructure in early 2008 ahead of a planned initial public offering (IPO) in 2009.

The five subsidiaries will be rolled into a single company, also called Summit.

'It does not really make sense to have separate companies,' says Magda el-Sabee, chief executive officer of the holding company.

'It makes more sense to IPO one big company.'

The restructured business should be able to compete more effectively for a larger share of Egypt's booming IT outsourcing sector, which is forecast to generate more than $1,000 million in revenues a year by 2010.

The largest of the five businesses is Orascom Technology Solutions (OTS), which supplies the software needed to run contact centres. Summit also holds Qeemah, a distributor of business software for the US' Oracle, and Opensoft, which distributes Microsoft's Great Plains software and is aimed at small and medium-sized businesses.

Orascom Technology Training (OTT), a training business, and International Integrated Solutions, which implements hardware from US networking giant Cisco, are the other two firms involved.

Summit expects to generate revenues of£E 360 million-400 million ($65.6 million-72.9 million) in 2007, up at least 20 per cent on 2006.

The local Orascom Telecom owns 61 per cent of Summit, with the remaining 39 per cent belonging to Japan's Sumitomo.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications