Tender issued for Abu Dhabi melamine plant

21 October 2005
Technical and commercials bids are due to be submitted by 10 November for a contract to provide project management consultancy (PMC) services on the proposed melamine plant at Ruwais. The prospective bidders include WorleyParsons of Australia, Canada's SNC Lavalinand Foster Wheeler, Fluor Corporation, Jacobs Engineeringand Stone & Webster, part of the Shaw Group, all of the US. An award is due by year-end (MEED 30:9:05).

Estimated to cost $160 million, the proposed plant will have capacity of 80,000 tonnes a year (t/y). Milan-based Eurotecnica is due to complete the front-end engineering and design (FEED) package by December. The project is being handled by a new joint venture company, which is 60 per cent owned by Ruwais Fertiliser Industries (Fertil). The remaining 40 per cent is held by Austria's AMI Agrolinz Melamine International. The plant will be built beside the existing Fertil complex, which will supply urea feedstock to the new unit.

The next stage in the project implementation will be the issue of a tender for the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract, which is due in early 2006. The successful PMC will oversee the construction works, which will take about two years to complete.

Plans to build a melamine complex at Ruwais have been under consideration for several years. In August 2003, France's Totaland Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), the two existing shareholders in Fertil, signed a memorandum of understanding to build a 50,000-t/y plant. However, the project did not move beyond the drawing board.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications