Contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars awarded by Kuwait Oil Company
- Petrofac has was selected over rivals Saipem, SK E&C and Daelim
- The manifold will connect oil wells to gathering centres 29, 30 and 31
- Petrofac has already won the contract for gathering centre 29
- The project is part of Kuwaits long-term strategy to develop its Northern oil fields
UK-based Petrofac has won the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for Kuwaits manifold gathering system project, with a bid of $776m.
On 10 July, Petrofac announced it had been notified of the contract award by state-owned upstream operator Kuwait Oil Company (KOC), after it submitted the lowest price for the scheme in April.
The full bidder list was:
- Petrofac (UK) / Independent Trading Group (local) $776m
- Saipem (Italy) / United Gulf Enterprises General Trading & Contracting Comanoy (local) $891m
- SK E&C (South Korea) / Sayed Hamid Behbehani & Sons (local) $958m
- Daelim (South Korea) / Zahra Group Holding (local) $980m
The project is integral to KOCs plans to increase and maintain crude production over the next five years, and will transport liquids from wells in Kuwaits north to three new gathering centres (GCs), known as GC 29, GC 30 and GC 31.
The three new GCs, which form part of the broader project, are already under construction, with Petrofac executing the EPC contract for GC 29.
The total value of the three GC contracts is $2.3bn.
Kuwaits oil fields are connected to 26 gathering centres, which serve as a collection location for crude produced at several wells connected by flowlines, providing initial treatment through the separation of associated gas and removing salt.
The three new GCs are needed as part of KOCs long-term strategy to develop the oil fields of North Kuwait.
Each GC will be designed to handle up to 100,000 barrels a day (b/d) of oil, 240,000 b/d of water and 240 million cubic feet a day (cf/d) of associated gas. KOC expects the main scheme to be competed in December 2018.
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.