Yemen’s Public Electricity Corporation (PEC) has invited expressions of interest from consultants to supervise the construction of a power generation and transmission project at al-Haswa in Aden, on the south-west coast.

The project will extend the 125MW power plant by 60MW through the supply and installation of a 270 tonnes per hour boiler. China National Electric Equipment Corporation (CNEEC) was awarded a contract for the supply of the boiler for the power plant in April.

The transmission component of the project involves the strengthening of 132kV transmission lines and substations between Dhamar, Sanaa and Yarim, and around Hodeidah. Sub transmission lines around the country are also to be strengthened.

The selected consultant will be responsible for the supervision of all construction works

Work on the transmission component is due to start in October for the Dhamar-Sanaa-Yarim line. The Hodeidah lines and general reinforcement is to be started in March 2011.

The selected consultant will be responsible for the construction supervision of all works including design review and approvals for both the generation and transmission parts.

Interested parties have until 8 August to respond to the invitation. Technical bids will be opened first, followed by financial bids.

The World Bank will finance 70 per cent of the scheme while the remaining 30 per cent will be sourced from the government. The World Bank will cover the full cost of the consultant.