Zadco plans major debottlenecking project

16 August 2002

About five international companies are preparing to submit technical and commercial bids by 2 September for a contract to carry out a conceptual study to expand the capacity of the oil-processing facilities on Zirku island off Abu Dhabi.

The project is aimed at increasing the capacity of the processing facilities to 700,000 barrels a day (b/d) by 2005 from 600,000 b/d, through debottlenecking of the three existing trains and a standby unit. The four-phase study will identify the hazardous operations of the existing oil, gas and water separation facilities and the bottlenecks; suggest modifications to increase output; and carry out basic engineering for the proposed project.

The prospective bidders are Mott MacDonaldof the UK, Tebodin Middle East, part of Tebodinof the Netherlands, Paris-based Technip-Coflexipand Foster Wheelerand VECO, both US-based.

The client is offshore operator Zakum Development Company (Zadco), which is owned 88 per cent by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and the remaining 12 per cent by Japan Oil Development Company (MEED 12:7:02).

Further debottlenecking is planned in Abu Dhabi's hydrocarbons sector. Tebodin is due to complete by December a feasibility study on a $50 million project to increase production capacity of the Zakum and Umm Shaif trains on Das island by 100,000 b/d to 600,000 b/d (MEED 17:5:02).

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications