- Owner Abu Dhabi Airports Company
- Parent Project Abu Dhabi Airport Expansion
- Location UAE, Emirate of Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
- Status Execution
- Classification Airport, Transport Terminal
- Contract ($m) $2,872m
- Contract Type BOT
- Main Contract Completion Q4 2016
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
Abu Dhabi Airports Company is expanding the existing airport so that it can increase the number of passengers it can handle from 12 million to 32 million a year.
This part of the expansion, the Midfield Terminal Complex, includes the construction of a midfield terminal between Abu Dhabi International airport’s two runways. The project has suffered a series of delays, but once ready, it will have a total built-up area of 630,000 square metres and the capacity to handle 20 million passengers a year.
UAE-based Arabtec Construction, Turkey’s TAV and Greece’s Consolidated Contractors Company are the three partners in a joint venture building the terminal. The contract is worth $2.8bn. In November 2012 it awarded Turkey’s Anel Electrical Company the electrical contract and local Efeco, part of Arabtec Holding, the mechanical work on the scheme.
Scope for the Midfield terminal complex includes the terminal building, a multi-storey car park and landscaping.
- Research MEED’s archive on the Midfield Terminal at Abu Dhabi Airport