Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (Adwea) has invited developers to submit expressions of interest for the planned Shuweihat 3 independent power project by 10 February.

The project covers the development, financing and construction of a power plant with capacity of 1,600MW. The plant will be located at Shuweihat, approximately 260 kilometres west of Abu Dhabi city.

Adwea has never tendered an IPP before, as its previous projects have all included desalination plants.

The winning developer will own 40 per cent of the project company and Adwea will hold the remaining 60 per cent.

The developer will enter into a long-term power purchase agreement with Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Company (Adwec). This will include an energy conversion agreement, under which Adwea will supply natural gas to the plant in exchange for power generation.