Al-Rayyan studies hold out promise

09 May 2003
Anadarko Qatar Energy Company, part of the US' Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, is due to complete by August an enhanced reservoir study of Al-Rayyan north, as part of its programme to increase production from the offshore field. The study will soon be followed by the drilling of two more wells to a depth of 3,000-4,000 feet.

Anadarko will drill the wells using a new permanent platform, which was officially inaugurated on 6 May. Called Al-Morjan, the six-leg jack-up rig was built by Maritime Industrial Services (MIS)of the UAE. The three-phase separator topside has capacity to produce 45,000 barrels a day (b/d) of oil, 180,000 b/d of fluid and 4 million cubic feet a day (cf/d) of associated gas.

At present, Al-Rayyan north has capability to produce 35,000 b/d of oil from 12 wells. The field has a permanently-moored tanker, Pacific Jewel, with capacity of 1.3 million barrels. Crude oil produced from the field is transported through a subsea pipeline and a single point mooring (SPM) calm buoy constructed by Abu Dhabi-based Valentine Maritime (Gulf). The US operator also plans the development of the adjacent Al-Rayyan south acreage through the installation of a satellite platform and the drilling of an exploration well. Depending on the findings, Anadarko will launch a full-field development scheme for the field.

Anadarko is the operator of the Al-Rayyan field and holds a 92.5 per cent interest in the exploration and production sharing agreement (EPSA) signed with Qatar Petroleum. The remaining 7.5 per cent stake is held by Germany's Preussag Energie.

Anadarko is also the operator of two more concessions in Qatar where it plans development. A seismic study is planned by the third quarter for block 11. For block 13, a seismic programme is due to be completed by the third quarter, to be followed by the drilling of an exploration well.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications