Amwaj Islands resort takes shape off Muharraq

26 September 2003
Ossis Property Developers is to establish a joint venture with Al-Khaleej Development Company (Tameer)to develop one of the residential portions of the Amwaj Islands resort project. Ossis, which is promoting the entire Amwaj project, will take a 40 per cent stake in the $100 million Tala Development Company (TDC) while Tameer will hold the remaining 60 per cent.

The Tala Island development will consist of apartments and villas with private beaches on a plot of land at the corner of the Al-Marsa Floating City. In common with the rest of the Amwaj project, 100 per cent freehold ownership will be open to both Bahrainis and expatriates. TDC is in discussions with banks over the possibility of offering an Islamically-structured financing package for prospective buyers.

Australia's Davenport Campbell and the UK's Hyder Consultingare carrying out architectural and engineering design work on Tala Island, as on other elements of the Amwaj scheme.

Abu Dhabi-based NSCC with the local Kingdom Group is doing marine works on the Al-Marsa Floating City (MEED 11:4:03). The next contract to be tendered will be for sheet piling work, followed before the end of the year by a tender for the construction of bridges linking the residential zones. A team of the local Ismail Khonji Associates with the UK's High-Point Rendel is working on the designs.

An award is also expected in the fourth quarter of the consultancy contract for the design of canal gates and a sluice system. Bids are under evaluation. The local office of Cyprus-based Charilaos Apostolides (Chapo) has begun construction of 205 villas on Al-Marsa, having received designs in August. Lebanon's Tabet Enterprises is working on the basic civils infrastructure contract, which includes road surfacing and sewerage facilities.

Ossis has recently entered into a joint venture with Bahrain Hotels Company to build the first of two five-star hotels on the Fanar Beach development, on the western side of Amwaj. Two four-star hotels and a marina are also planned.

The latest part of the project to take shape is the proposed Theme Island, off the main approach road to Amwaj. Davenport Campbell is working on designs for the development, which will include a golf course, theme parks and an equestrian centre (MEED 31:5:02).

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications