Barwa City development

12 February 2013

About 40 per cent of the properties have been rented to the government

Value: $8.2bn


Barwa Real Estate Company

Mohammed al-Emadi, project manager

Tel: (+974) 4 408 8888



Anthony Boothman, senior project manager

Tel: (+974) 4 463 5300

Barwa City is a mixed-use real estate development in the Mesaimeer area of Doha.

The project developer, the local Barwa Real Estate Company, awarded a $1.3bn contract to Germany’s Bilfinger Berger in 2007 to build the residential components of the first phase of the Barwa City development. The first residential units for this QR7.3bn ($2bn) phase were completed in 2011, with the first tenants moving in by mid-2012.

In 2010, Indian firm Shapoorji Pallonji was awarded a contract to build the amenities on the scheme, a total of 13 buildings.

The first phase of the development contains about 6,000 residential apartments spread across 1.35 million square metres. About 40 per cent of the properties have been rented out to Qatari government departments.

The second phase of the project is currently under design and will include a 250-bed hospital and a luxury hotel.

Key dates

January 2006

Barwa Real Estate Company begins operations – Qatari Diar holds a 45 per cent stake, with the remaining 55 per cent put out for IPO


$1.3bn construction contract awarded to Germany’s Bilfinger Berger to build 128 residential buildings


India’s Shapoorji Pallonji awarded contract to build 13 buildings for amenities for phase 1

June 2012

First tenants move into residential buildings


Barwa announces that design work is ongoing for phase 2 of development, which will include a 250-bed hospital and a luxury hotel

IPO=Initial public offering. Source: MEED

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications