The Middle East region, on account of its young population, is expected to witness one of world’s highest growth rates in mobile phone data traffic, with the volume of text, photo, audio and video files transmitted by mobile devices every month projected to reach nearly 4.3 exabytes (4.3 billion billion bytes) by 2020, some 15 times the current volume.
This exponential growth offers both a threat and opportunity for business organisations, according to a report recently published by UK-based analytics firm Global Data.
“Companies that fail to derive actionable insights from the wealth of data that they possess will struggle to compete with rivals using diverse data sets to gain a deeper understanding of their customers and marketplace,” the report says.
The report, which discusses the big data trends globally over the next 12 to 24 months, cites the clear and wide-ranging benefits of big data for companies that operate across sectors including retail and pharmaceuticals, as well as the need for tailored solutions to maximise benefits and ensure a successful outcome.
The report identifies seven key technologies within the big data theme and the leading companies in each. They are:
- Data governance: Alteryx, Daitaku, Dell, IBM, Informatica, Oracle, SAS, Splunk, TIBCO
- Business intelligence: SAS, Oracle, Tableau, IBM, Microsoft, Splunk, TIBCO
- Data analysis: IBM, Google, Amazon, Microsoft
- Data storage: Oracle, SAP, IBM, Amazon, Google, Hortonworks, Cloudera
- Data processing: Amazon, Google, Oracle, Microsoft, Cloudera, Intel, IBM, Nvidia, Oracle, Software AG, TIBCO, Baidu
- Data aggregation: Informatica, Teradata, Oracle, Amazon, Cloudera
- Data integration: IBM, SAP, Alteryx, Red Hat, SAS, Hitachi, Cisco
Big data is being seen as one of the main technology stacks enabling digitisation in the consumer and industrial spaces.
The other disciplines include mobility, cyber security, machine learning and blockchain.
|This article has been unlocked to allow non-subscribers to sample MEED’s content. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here|
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.