Oman’s ruler Sultan Qaboos bin Said passed away on Friday 10 January.
The Diwan of Royal Court issued a statement on the official Oman New Agency:
“… the Diwan of Royal Court mourns His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who passed away on Friday, the 14th of Jumada al-Ula, the 10th of January 2020 …”
There will be an official mourning period in Oman. “On this occasion, the Diwan of Royal Court has announced a state of mourning and the halt of official work in the public and private sectors for three days and the flying of flags at half-mast over the forthcoming 40 days.”
The Defence Council, which includes members from various branches of the armed forces and police services, issued a statement saying it had, according to Omani law, called upon the Royal Family Council to convene in order to determine who shall assume power.
Sultan Qaboos’ health had been ailing for some time and his medical trip abroad in the last three weeks of 2019 had led to fervent speculation over the royal succession.
Qaboos has ruled Oman for almost 50 years, and he is effectively the last of the Middle East’s rulers that took power when Britain was still the colonial authority.
|This article has been unlocked to allow non-subscribers to sample MEED’s content. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here|