Closing date shifted to late December
Doha has extended the tender closing date for the contract to build Al-Wakrah stadium to 21 December. The previous closing date was 5 November.
The arena is one of the planned football stadiums for Fifas 2022 football World Cup.
Contractors submitted technical proposals and unit rates in September.
The groups that have been invited to bid include:
- Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) (Athens-based) / Posco Engineering & Construction (South Korea) / Zueblin (Germany)
- Samsung C&T (South Korea) / HBK Contracting (local)
- Hochtief (Germany) / Contraco (local)
- Porr (Austria) / Midmac Contracting (local)
- FCC (Spain) / Redco Amana (local)
- Shapoorji Pallonji (India) / Butec (local) / Eiffage (France)
- Al-Jaber Engineering(local) / Marbu (local)
- Hyundai Engineering & Construction (South Korea) / Construction Development Company (CDC) (local)
- Bam (Netherlands) / Urbacon (local)
The stadium will have the capacity to seat 45,000 people during the tournament. The original plans involved the top tiers of the structure being modular and, following the tournament, the capacity of the stadium being reduced to 20,000, with 25,000 seats removed. The plan is for these seats to be donated and reconstructed in developing countries.
Meanwhile, contractors are preparing to submit bids on 25 November for the Al-Bayt stadium in Al-Khor. The original closing date was 29 October.
The project is divided into three main construction packages. The largest involves the construction of a 60,000-seat stadium for the 2022 World Cup. The others include the construction of a retail precinct and a utilities centre. Completion is expected in 2018.
The stadium will be modular and once the World Cup is over, the upper tiers will be removed, leaving a capacity of 32,000. The design of the stadium (and its name) comes from Bayt al-Shaar, which is a black and white tent traditionally used by Qataris.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.