Passenger support terminal to be constructed within 450 days
- New building to supplement Terminal 1 capacity while Terminal 2 is under construction
- Capacity is for up to 4.5 million passengers annually
- Scope includes multi-storey car park, pedestrian bridge, access roads and utilities
Kuwaits Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has invited 15 prequalified groups to submit bids for a contract to build a passenger support building at Kuwait International Airport.
Prices are expected to be submitted by 10 October.
The passenger support building will provide an additional capacity of up to 4.5 million passengers annually to support the existing terminal, Terminal 1, until Terminal 2, which was awarded recently to a joint venture of Turkeys Limak and the local Kharafi National, becomes operational by 2020.
The tender specified that the passenger support building is to become operational 450 days, or about 15-18 months, from the date of contract signing.
The building will be located next to the existing air cargo facilities and roughly 1 kilometre away from Terminal 1.
In addition to a terminal, the scope of this tender includes a multi-storey car parking facility that can accommodate up to 1,600 cars, a pedestrian bridge between the car park and the passenger support building, as well as access roads and utilities.
The scope further includes a five-year operations and maintenance (O&M) contract starting from when a substantial segment of the new building has been completed.
The prequalified consortiums include:
- China Communications Construction Company (China) / Kharafi National (local)
- Limak (Turkey) / Mohd Abdul Mohsen al-Kharafi & Sons (local)
- TAV(Turkey) / Bader al-Mulla & Bros (local)
- Larsen & Toubro (India) / Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) (Athens-based; local branch)
- Avic International Holding Corporation (China) / Al-Dar Engineering & Construction (local)
- Daewoo (South Korea) / Alghanim International (local)
- Obermeyer (Germany) / local Arab Contractors (local)
- Metallurgical Corporation of China (China) / Khaled Ali Al-Kharafi & Bros Construction Contracting Company (local)
- Sacyr+Tomaso de Oliviera (Portugal) / KCC Engineering & Contracting (local)
- China State Construction Engineering (China) / Bayan National Construction Contracting Company (local)
- Sinohydro (China) / Al-Hani Construction & Trading Company (local)
- Wehai International and Economic Technical Corporation (China) / Engineering Specialities Building General Contracting Company (local)
- Cengiz Insaat Sanayi Ve Ticareta (Turkey) / First General Trading & Contracting (local)
- Corsan Corviam Construction + Isolux + Kolin (Turkey) / Al-Toubad General Trading & Contracting Company (local)
- Losberger RDS (France) / New EmiratesTrading & Contracting Company (local)
It is likely the tender period for this project will be relatively short, following the award of the Terminal 2 contract within two weeks of bid submission and due to the urgent need to expand and improve the countrys airport infrastructure.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.