Contracts involve work at Dubai International and Al-Maktoum airports
Engineering consultants have been invited to prequalify for a number of deals regarding the expansion of both the existing Dubai International airport and the new Al-Maktoum International airport near Jebel Ali port.
Prospective bidders have until 18 September to submit documents. The expansion covers the third phase of Dubai International airports expansion and the second phase of Al-Maktoum International airports upgrade.
The prequalification covers several schemes, including:
- Interior fit-out projects such as airport lounges, offices and passenger facilities (contract valued at AED5m-50m [$1.36m-13.61m])
- General facilities such as maintenance sheds and fire stations (AED10m-200m)
- Specialised facilities such as cargo handling units (AED10m-200m)
- Specialised facilities such as terminals and concourses (AED200m)
- Airport infrastructure projects, such as runways, stands and navigation systems
- Specialised systems including information technology (IT) infrastructure
- Operational readiness, transition and compliance assistance
The Al-Maktoum airports passenger terminal is scheduled to open in late October this year, with Hungarian budget airline Wizz Air and Saudi Arabias Nasair to begin operating flights.
Dubai International airport is increasing its capacity from 60 million to 90 million passengers a year by 2018. The airport is reporting consistently rising passenger and traffic volumes. In July, it reported a hike of more than 6 per cent in passenger volumes, compared with the same month last year. A total of 5.3 million passengers passed through the airport that month.
Dubai Internationals expansion plans include expanding Terminal 2 by 2013 and completing concourse 4 by 2015, which will connect with Terminal 1.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.