Masterplan includes 421 kilometres of rail with 197 stations
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has received bids from consultants to update Dubais rail masterplan.
The bidders include:
- Aecom (US)
- Arup (UK)
- Atkins (UK)
- Mott MacDonald (UK)
- Parsons (US)
- RMC (local)
- Systra (France)
- WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff (Canada-headquartered)
Expected to take about nine months to complete, the study will look at updating and modifying the RTAs proposed future metro lines and other public transport networks such as the tram. It will also consider other rail systems such as personal rapid transit (PRT).
The transport agencys latest 2030 masterplan includes a 421-kilometre-long railway network with 197 stations.
There are several possible metro new lines, including:
- Red line extension from Rashidiya to Mirdif City Centre
- Red line extension connecting to Dubai Parks and Dubai Waterfront
- Green line extension from Al-Jadaf to Academic City
- Green line extension from Ras al-Khor to Meydan
- Green line extension to Sharjah border
- Purple line connecting Dubai International airport and Al-Maktoum International airport
- Pink line running along Umm Suqeim Road
- Gold line running from Bur Dubai up to Emirates Road and back to Dubai Media City area
Dubai Metro network
The plans also include two extensions to the tram. The first extension will connect the existing network to the Madinat Jumeirah resort and Mall of the Emirates. The second extension will take the tram along Jumeirah Beach Road to the Union Museum area on 2 December Street.
WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff completed the earlier transit study.
In late June, the RTA awarded the contract to design and build the AED10.6bn ($2.9bn) Route 2020 metro link connecting to the Expo site to the consortium of Spains Acciona, Turkeys Gulermak, and Frances Alstom.
Route 2020 Metro link
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.