Contract award for Expo line is expected before Ramadan
Dubais Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) has shortlisted two bidders for the contract to design and build the new metro link connecting to the Expo 2020 site.
Dubai Metro Route 2020 station
It is understood the two bidders are:
- Acciona (Spain) / Gulermak (Turkey) / Alstom (France)
- Obayashi (Japan) / Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC; Athens-based) / Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (Japan)
It is understood outstanding technical queries will be answered over the next few weeks ahead of final negotiations. An award is expected before Ramadan starts in June.
The market was surprised on 6 March, when a team of Turkeys Nurol, Italys Astaldi and Spains Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF) submitted the lowest commercial offer for the contract to design and build the metro link. The group submitted a price of about AED7bn ($1.9bn) with no alternative offer, which is 29 per cent cheaper than the second-lowest offer of about AED10bn with no alternative offer.
Later in March, the RTA held meetings with all five bidders to discuss the financing proposed by each of the consortiums. The authority and the Dubai government then levelised the offers and assessed which bids offered the best value.
Metro results from 6 March
1. Nurol / Astaldi / Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles AED6,998,874,922 (no alternative offer)
2. Mapa Gunal (Turkey) / China Railway Group (China) / CSR Corporation (China) AED9,891,387,231.14 (no alternative offer)
4. Acciona / Gulermak / Alstom AED10,224,868,000 (base offer), AED9,975,831,483 (alternative offer)
The scheme, known as Route 2020, involves building a 15-kilometre-long line branching off the existing Red Line at the Nakheel Harbour & Tower station, between the Ibn Battuta Mall and Jumeirah Lake Towers stations. The line will also connect to Al-Maktoum International airport. About 11km of the line will be elevated, with five elevated stations and two underground stations.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.