Selected consultant will update emirates transit plans
Dubais Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) has invited nine firms to bid by early July for the study to update the emirates rail masterplan.
The firms invited to bid are:
- · Aecom (US)
- · Arup (UK)
- · Atkins (UK)
- · Aurecon (local office)
- · Mott MacDonald (UK)
- · Parsons (US)
- · RMC (local)
- · Systra (France)
- · WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff (Canada-headquartered)
Expected to take about nine months to complete, the study will look at updating and modifying the RTAs proposed future metro lines and other public transport networks such as the tram. It will also consider other rail systems such as personal rapid transit (PRT).
The transport agencys latest 2030 masterplan includes a 421-kilometre-long railway network with 197 stations.
There are several possible metro new lines, including:
- · Red line extension from Rashidiya to Mirdif City Centre
- · Red line extension connecting to Dubai Parks and Dubai Waterfront
- · Green line extension from Al-Jadaf to Academic City
- · Green line extension from Ras al-Khor to Meydan
- · Green line extension to Sharjah border
- · Purple line connecting Dubai International airport and Al-Maktoum International airport
- · Pink line running along Umm Suqeim Road
- · Gold line running from Bur Dubai up to Emirates Road and back to Dubai Media City area
The plans also include two extensions to the tram. The first extension will connect the existing network to the Madinat Jumeirah resort and Mall of the Emirates. The second extension will take the tram along Jumeirah Beach Road to the Union Museum area on 2 December Street.
WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff completed the earlier transit study.
Construction work is expected to start this year on the new metro line that will connect to the 2020 Expo site. The RTA received commercial offers from five bidders for the rail link, known as Route 2020, in March, and it is understood two groups have been shortlisted for the design-and-build contract. A contract award is expected in mid-June.
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.