- Owner Agence Nationale des Autoroutes
- Parent Project East-West Motorway Highway
- Location Algeria
- Status Execution
- Classification Road, Interchange, Transport Infrastructure
- Contract ($m) $2,733m
- Contract Type BOT
- Main Contract Completion Q3 2013
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
Algeria’s Ministry of Public Works is building a 1,216km East-West Highway running across northern Algeria. Phase 2 of the road network covers 930km of the project.
The current road system suffers from bottlenecks and without an upgrade, cannot cope with traffic levels. It is also hindering access to the more remote parts of the country. Once completed, the Algerian government hopes the six-lane East-West Highway will help improve road safety and attract additional investment into the region. It will also support most of Algeria’s overland trade and form part of the planned trans-Maghreb highway.
Scope for package 2 covers the 169km-long central section between Bordj Bou Arreridj near Setif and Khemis Meliana, east of Chlef and associated facilities.