Egyptian mining firm secures Ethiopian gold concessions

09 January 2008
Egypt-based Ascom Geology & Mining has acquired four gold concessions in northern Ethiopia, in a joint venture with local Ethiopian company, Ezana Mining.

The newly established mining company, Nubia Mining Development, holds the four concessions, near the border with Eritrea.

Nubia is a joint venture between Ascom Ethiopia, a subsidiary of Ascom Geology & Mining, and a private Ethiopian company, Ezana Mining. Ascom Ethiopia owns 55 per cent of Nubia and Ezana holds the remaining 45 per cent.

Preliminary exploration of the area has shown positive signs of gold deposits, according to Fayez Gress chairman of Ascom. Nubia is carrying out the geological surveys. These are expected to take up to three years to complete.

In 2004, Saudi Arabia's Citadel Capital bought Ascom Geology & Mining's parent company, Asec Group, spinning off the geology and mining arm into a separate company.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications