The big figures making up the Dubai Expo 2020 plans
A decision will be made today on which city will host the World Expo 2020. Dubai is pitched against three cities - Ekaterinburg in Russia, Izmir in Turkey and Sao Paulo in Brazil. Voting takes place this evening (Dubai time).
MEED has collated some of the key numbers, should Dubai win the vote.
What Dubai winning the World Expo 2020 would look like in figures (sources in brackets):
- Financing costs: $7bn (Dubai government)
- Impact of a successful bid: $23bn (BofA Merrill Lynch)
- Expected attendees: 25 million (Expo 2020 Dubai)
- Proportion of attendees from overseas: 70 per cent
- Number of exhibiting countries and companies: 182 (Expo 2020 Dubai)
- Jobs created between 2013 and 2021: 277,000 (Brand Finance)
- Average GDP growth 2014-16: 6.4 per cent (Barclays)
- Size of exhibition site: 4.4 square kilometres (Expo 2020 Dubai)
- Number of new hotel rooms needed by 2020: 81,000 (Al-Ramz Securities)
- Investment in hotel capacity required by 2020: $7.2bn (EFG Hermes)
Destination Dubai 2020
On 28-29 January 2014, MEED will hold its Destination Dubai 2020 event. The two-day conference will bring together the emirates key government-related entities and stakeholders to discuss their respective growth plans and outline Dubais ongoing expansion to 2020 and beyond. For the very latest information regarding this event, please visit www.destinationdubai2020.com
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.