Halliburton wins ExxonMobil contract in Iraq

17 October 2010

US firm will provide wellhead services at West Qurna-1 field

US oil major ExxonMobil has awarded oilfield services firm Halliburton a contract to provide integrated services for the refurbishment of wells at the West Qurna Phase-1 field in Iraq.

The US firm will provide on-site logistics and technical support, as well as the provision of a workover rig and well testing, according to a 14 October company release.

The company did not disclose the value of the contract.

ExxonMobil led a consortium with the UK/Dutch Shell Group that finalised a deal in January 2010 to take on the first-phase development of the West Qurna oil field in southern Iraq (MEED 25:1:10).

Under the terms of the 20-year deal, the consortium must boost production at the southern part of the field from current levels of about 280,000 barrels a day (b/d) to 2.33 million b/d and will receive $1.90 for every barrel of oil it produces over an agreed minimum production level.

ExxonMobil leads the consortium with an 80 per cent stake, while Shell holds the remaining 20 per cent. The contract was one of 11 signed following Iraq’s first and second post-war oil field licensing rounds in 2009.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications